Saturday, May 12, 2012

New Feature! Second Chance Saturday {01}





About the Feature
The goal of this feature is to give a second chance to a book/author/series you have written off for some reason. I've made some particularly awesome discoveries by giving books second chances.

• The Vampire Academy series (I didn't like the first couple paragraphs of the first book, but thankfully, I gave it another shot. Five pages in, and I was hooked. Read the entire series in under a week. LOVE. And while we're on the subject...was I the only Christian/Rose shipper in the world? Because it feels like it, but I know there HAS to be at least one other person who saw their potential. Or maybe I'm just crazy. It's a distinct possibility.).
Yours to Keep by Shannon Stacey, and Shannon Stacey in general, really (couldn't make it through the audiobook of Yours to Keep, but ADORED the actual book once I finally read it).
Wuthering Heights. (One of my all-time favorites, and I couldn't even make it 100 pages in the first time I attempted to read it. Of course, I was 12 at the time, and thought I could handle anything classics could throw at me, after finishing Jane Eyre.)

The point is: A freaking amazing, potentially life-altering book could be waiting underneath that layer of dust, but you'll never know because that author wrote that one book you read when you were fourteen and couldn't stand. Enter this meme.

How does it work?

Once a month (every second Saturday of each month, to be precise), I will post a recap post, where I'll talk about my Second Chance book(s) read that month, and the potential choices for the next month. There will also be a Linky if you want to promote your own Second Chance posts (recaps or participating reviews from the past month). Recap posts aren't mandatory by any means, but if you want to do them, that's cool, too. To participate, any time you read and review something that's a "second chance" for you, you would mention the meme and link back to me. Sort of like Rewind & Review, if you're familiar with that feature. Basically, the idea is to specifically try to read one Second Chance book a month, but you can read as many or as few as you like. I really want to keep this easy and rule-free, the only stipulation being a request that you please mention or link to me if you participate. That's it!

Books Mentioned in the Vlog
Yours to Keep by Shannon Stacey
Undeniably Yours by Shannon Stacey
Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean
*Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLean

*My Second Chance pick for the upcoming month!

Blogs Mentioned in the Vlog
Dear Author
Greads
Lisa Is Busy Nerding
Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

Grab the Code


Note: This is just a prototype to get you started. Feel free to do it however you like.

I also went a little crazy and made promotion banners in three different themes. I still haven't decided which I'm going to use on a permanent basis. I love #1 and #2 a lot. The banners are the full-blown Second Chance Saturday banners. The "minis" are smaller, and they say "I gave this book a Second Chance." They're meant to go with the individual book reviews. They're smaller, thus less cluttering of your post, and they don't make it seem like you should only be posting your review on a Saturday.

#1: Banner (pictured above) || Mini
#2: Banner || Mini
#3: Banner || Mini

Like this idea? Please participate! Help me spread the word! Also, if I wasn't clear on anything, feel free to ask questions in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psst! I now reside over at The Book Barbies. I'd still love to hear your thoughts, though!