Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review: Until There Was You by Kristan Higgins


Title: Until There Was You
Author: Kristan Higgins
Published: October 2011 (HQN Books)
Rating: 4/5
Summary: Posey Osterhagen can't complain. She owns a successful architectural salvaging company, she's surrounded by her lovable, if off-center, family and she has a boyfriend—sort of. Still, something's missing. Something tall, brooding and criminally good-looking…something like Liam Murphy.

When Posey was sixteen, the bad boy of Bellsford, New Hampshire, broke her heart. But now he's back, sending Posey's traitorous schoolgirl heart into overdrive once again. She should be giving him a wide berth, but it seems fate has other ideas….

My Review: Oh, Kristan Higgins. She is one of my top favorite contemporary romance authors for a reason (Just One of the Guys, anyone?). This book was thoroughly enjoyable. The narration was fantastic, and while it took a while to keep all of them straight, I appreciated all the secondary characters. I really love how Higgins writes normal characters with original flair. I really get attached to them. I even love her animals! Which is saying something, because I am not an animal person.

I loved Posey and could relate to her very easily. It took me a while to warm up to Liam - I honestly didn't get what was so special about him in the beginning. But as we read more about him, I came to realize why Posey loved him. He was such a great guy, and once you actually got to know him, there was no denying that. The book was touching without being overly sappy. I don't know what it is exactly, but Higgins has this way of writing true, pure emotions. Her endings hit me like very few authors' do. I cried at this one because I was just so into the world and the characters; I felt everything they felt, and it made me sad to say goodbye.

Oh! And she referenced 90210. The real one. This made me happy. :)

And, of course, because it is Kristan Higgins, there were many laugh-out-loud lines. This is one of my favorite things about her books. They are witty and hilarious, usually because they are so true.
To think she'd put on a lace bra for this. It itched.
He smiled broadly at Posey, and she smiled back, unsure if that was a Want to date me? smile or just a How's your soul these days?
Posey wondered what he'd do if she ripped his shirt open and licked his neck.
Unrequited lust made for crappy conversation.
There should be a law that no one over the age of fourteen could say OMG without a public stoning.

While it took a bit to get into it, Until There Was You was a great read. It was funny, thoughtful, and touching. I would definitely recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psst! I now reside over at The Book Barbies. I'd still love to hear your thoughts, though!