Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: 8/28/12 Edition

Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
Top Ten Bookish Confessions

01. I have never read a John Green book. I know, I know, it's YA sacrilege. I want to, particularly Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

02. It causes me physical pain when people dog-ear books. I unbend any pages in library books that have previously been dog-eared. I also don't like it when people set books open and face down. That said, I try to keep my books in good condition, but I'm not super obsessive about it. I am not going to wear gloves or read new paperbacks with a gap of 2 inches just to keep from cracking the spine.

03. I used to be ashamed and super embarrassed that I read romance, and I would hide the cover any time someone might actually see it. I'm proud to say I finally got past that, and it has made my reading much more enjoyable. I'm a firm believer in reading what you like and leaving others to do the same.

04. I judge books by their covers. I'm sorry, but I'm an aesthetic person. If your book has a pretty (or just eye-drawing) cover, I'm going to be more likely to read it. And I'm okay with this.

05. I like it when I discover someone left his or her library receipt in a book I've checked out. I'll go through the list and see if I've read all the books, and look them up if I haven't heard of them before.

06. I liked the Hunger Games trilogy, but I think they are hyped way beyond what the content deserves.

07. I know they should be old and clichéd by now, but I still love Girl in Pretty Dress Covers.

08. I sometimes like boys/men in books I probably couldn't stand in real life. (Example: Heathcliff. Why do I find him swoon-worthy? He loves with an incredible passion that is nearly unbelievable. AND YET. If I were the object of his devotion in real life? I'd probably get a restraining order and run screaming in the other direction.)

09. I don't get the whole "Oh, I only buy used books because each has its own history and a million stories to tell besides the one written on the page," thing. Okay, I know that sounds awesome, but chill. It's just a book; it's not going to suddenly come to life and tell you all the things it's been through.

10. I hate deckle edge books. Hate them. With a passion. They drive me nuts. For one, it just looks sloppy and weird, but primarily because it makes turning the page much more difficult than it needs to be.

13 comments:

  1. Haha, I am totally with you on judging books by their covers. And on being unreasonably fond of girl-in-pretty-dress shots, too. There's nothing wrong with pretty. :)

    Fun list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Most of these made me laugh. In a good way. :) I HAVE read one John Green book (An Abundance of Katherines), and... I didn't really like it. *ducks and runs for cover from John Green fans* To be fair, he's a great writer and a fantastic person, but, that particular book just wasn't for me. Maybe I'll read one of his others some day.

    Also, my husband sets his books open and face down. Drives. me. crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good covers add a lot of value to books. As do illustrations. (My own personal bookish quirk is that I love illustrations.)

    Here's my Top Ten Bookish Confessions.I hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I judge books by their covers too! I'd rather read something with an aesthetically pleasing cover.

    Also? I am so jealous your library prints receipts. Mine just stamps a card with the due date.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with pretty much everything on your list!!
    Good ones. 
    Here is my Top Ten Confessions post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am completely with you on the covers. I shop by covers first and usually only. In a book store I won't even pull out the books that they don't have facing forward, and typically the spines aren't that catching. I have never read a John Green book either. I have a few on my TBR list but there are just so many free books I could get in stead. 

    Here is my Top Ten.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! A Heathcliff fan! Swoon worthy indeed... and I feel we are in the minority! :)

    Dude.. READ JOHN GREEN!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm laughing so hard at #9. Thanks for the laugh this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. GASP at number 6. Sharon! I'm not sure we can be friends anymore. (Totally kidding.) 
    I totally do the receipt thing too with books from the library! Hah! I wonder if anyone's ever found one of mine & what they did with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do dog ear books and it doesn't bother me, but I hate when people leave a book open face down. Why one and not the other - no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It used to bother me that people would judge me for reading romances (especially the ones with slightly racier covers...) but these days, I don't really care what they think. I enjoy romances and nothing will stop me from reading them!

    Plus, I kind of agree with your sentiment about used books. I do buy them, but I don't buy them because I feel like they carry all the stories of the readers before me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are too funny! I actually like the deckle edged books ( I have Nora Roberts' Bride Quartet series in this form.) However, I do agree about picking up books because they are pretty ( including the girl in pretty dress ones) and I hate, hate hate when someone folds over pages or breaks the binding. I also used to get embarrassed taking out certain romance books at the library, but I have pretty much gotten over it. The half-naked man ones still get to me, though. Sometimes it's easier to buy them than worry about judgment. I always tell my husband "Hey look, you're on another cover!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love girl-in-pretty-dresses covers as well. I haven't read people's abandoned library receipts but now I want to. When I do a shift at the library I probably toss out 4 or 5 without looking at them.

    Looking for Alaska is my favorite. I compare all other John Green novels to it. I know I shouldn't, but I do.

    ReplyDelete

Psst! I now reside over at The Book Barbies. I'd still love to hear your thoughts, though!