Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Review: The Sweetest Thing by Jill Shalvis


Title: The Sweetest Thing (Lucky Harbor #2)
Author: Jill Shalvis
Published: April 2011 (Grand Central Publishing)
Rating: 4/5
Summary: Tara has a thousand good reasons not to return to the little coastal town of Lucky Harbor, Washington. Yet with her life doing a major crash-and-burn, anywhere away from her unfulfilled dreams and sexy ex-husband will do. As Tara helps her two sisters get their newly renovated inn up and running, she finally has a chance to get things under control and come up with a new plan for her life. But a certain tanned, green-eyed sailor has his own ideas, such as keeping Tara hot, bothered . . . and in his bed. And when her ex wants Tara back, three is a crowd she can't control-especially when her deepest secret reappears out of the blue. Now Tara must confront her past and discover what she really wants. If she's lucky, she might just find that everything her heart desires is right here in Lucky Harbor.

My Review

The Sweetest Thing by Jill Shalvis was a fantastic continuation of the Lucky Harbor series. As the second book, it had a lot of pressure to uphold the standard set by the first, and it absolutely lived up to the challenge. I loved The Sweetest Thing even more than Simply Irresistible. I was thoroughly intrigued by Tara as a character in the first book, and I could not wait to learn more about her in this book. I very much enjoyed reading her story.

I had SO many emotions as I read this book! I was surprised, I was happy, I was sad. I felt my heart wrench with angst and conflict, and I laughed and smiled until my cheeks ached. It was quite the journey. I absolutely loved getting to know Tara better; I really related to Tara most out of all the sisters. Don't know what that says about me, but it's true. I also adored Ford, whom I did not really know until he showed up in this book. I was interested in learning about Tara and Ford's history, which had been hinted at but not confirmed. The way they grew and learned from their past experiences made for a fascinating story. Oh, and there's also Tara's ex-husband to contend with. But I really don't think anyone was fooled by that one for even a second.

The small town feel was fantastic! I almost died laughing several times. The "small town gossips" (one in particular) were active on Facebook and Twitter, doing things such as keeping a poll of which guy Tara should pick - Ford or the ex. I also loved the recurrence of Jax and Maddie. They were hilarious with just the right amount of cuteness - enough to know they were still thoroughly in love, but not so much as to sickeningly corny.


Have I mentioned how in love with the Lucky Harbor covers I am? They're just so adorable! I love the simplistic, happy brightness of them. Now, for the quotes.

She gave a brief thought to lying, but she didn't want to be struck dead by lightning -- it would ruin her good hair day.
Sweet baby Jesus, that smile should come with a label: WARNING: Prolonged exposure will cause yearning, lust, and stupidity.
I've seen the way you look at him. It's how I look at junk food.
This was going to require a lot of obsessing, and maybe some more chips. Certainly a bottle of wine, and in all likelihood her sisters as well.

The Sweetest Thing is another winner by Shalvis! I would definitely encourage you to pick it up. And the whole series along with it, really.


Purchase this book at: Amazon || Barnes & Noble icon || The Book Depository

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psst! I now reside over at The Book Barbies. I'd still love to hear your thoughts, though!