Sunday, March 18, 2012

Review: Unraveled by Courtney Milan


Title: Unraveled (Turner #3)
Author: Courtney Milan
Published: December 2011 (Courtney Milan)
Rating: 4/5
Summary: Smite Turner is renowned for his single-minded devotion to his duty as a magistrate. But behind his relentless focus lies not only a determination to do what is right, but the haunting secrets of his past—secrets that he is determined to hide, even if it means keeping everyone else at arm’s length. Until the day an irresistible woman shows up as a witness in his courtroom…

Miranda Darling isn’t in trouble…yet. But she’s close enough that when Turner threatens her with imprisonment if she puts one foot wrong, she knows she should run in the other direction. And yet no matter how forbidding the man seems on the outside, she can’t bring herself to leave. Instead, when he tries to push her away, she pushes right back—straight through his famous self-control, and into the heart of the passion that he has long hidden away…

My Review

This is the first ebook I ever bought, and it was absolutely worth it! This trilogy just got a little bit better with each book! I enjoyed the others, but this was my favorite out of all three. I honestly think my favorite thing about Milan is her original characters. Particularly in Unclaimed and Unraveled, none of the characters were like any others I had read before. Smite specifically appealed to me.

I do not always go for the "severely damaged" hero, but Smite was different. He used everything that had happened in his past to his benefit. He was so unique in the way he dealt with things. I loved everything about him, from the Lord Justice side of him to his "sentimentality quota." I also loved the way Milan wrote him - he was not someone to be "fixed." That's not what Miranda was for. Miranda is a woman who loves Smite for himself, which is exactly what Smite needs.
[WARNING: Quote is spoilery]“I was so hoping…” – “What? That he’d fall in love and turn into an ordinary man?” Miranda choked on the words. “Anyone who loved him would never want that. It would be like loving the ocean, but wishing it would change into a glass of water.”
I grew so attached to Miranda and Smite. I liked Miranda a lot, and we've already covered how much I adored Smite. I loved watching him progress as a character, seeing him fight against his growing feelings for Miranda. Their relationship was such a marvelous thing to watch unfold. I was also captivated by the relationship between Smite and his brothers, Mark in particular. There were several times when I nearly teared up from their interactions. The Turner family is so unique, and seeing them learn how to be a family after everything that had happened was so touching. It made my heart happy.

Quotes:
Never had one little punctuation mark mattered so much.
I don’t believe I would like you half so well if you weren’t sarcastic.
It was almost enough to make a man think sentimental thoughts. Almost.
I normally do not specify if a historical is part of a series; everything is part of a "series" nowadays. However, I would very much suggest that you read these in order. The relationship between the brothers is complex, and the things we learn of their past are revealed gradually throughout all three. Plus, they're all fantastic! It is certainly no hardship to read them all.


Purchase this book at: Amazon || Barnes & Noble || The Book Depository

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psst! I now reside over at The Book Barbies. I'd still love to hear your thoughts, though!