Thursday, April 19, 2012

Review: About That Night by Julie James


Title: About That Night
Author: Julie James
Published: April 2012 (Berkley Sensation)
Summary: Though Rylann Pierce tried to fight the sparks she felt for billionaire heir Kyle Rhodes the night they met, their sizzling chemistry was undeniable. But after being stood up on their first date, Rylann never expected to see him again. So when she finds herself face to face with Kyle in a courthouse nine years later, she’s stunned. More troubling to the beautiful Assistant U.S. Attorney is that she’s still wildly attracted to him. Just released from prison, Kyle Rhodes isn’t thrilled to be the star witness in a high-profile criminal case — but when Rylann comes knocking at his door, he finds she may be the one lawyer he can’t say no to. Still as gorgeous and sharp-tongued as ever, she lays down the law: she doesn’t mix business with pleasure. But Kyle won’t give up on something he wants — and what he wants is the one woman he’s never forgotten...

My Review: About That Night by Julie James was much awaited in these parts. She's kind of amazing! And I just read the first two in the series earlier this year. So the wait was just enough to seem tantalizing and unfair, but not so much that I lost any enthusiasm. If this book lived up to the others, I knew I would not be disappointed. Not to mention, I knew Kyle was the hero, and that was something I simply had to see. Because 1) I had loved him in the previous book, and 2) he is an ex-con - how often does that happen? Needless to say About That Night most definitely did not disappoint. I loved it! From the characters to the writing to the plot, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Rylann is a big planner. Nightly plans, monthly plans, six-year-plans. She's all about the plans. Then Kyle reenters the scene, something that is most definitely unplanned. It was such fun to watch Rylann cope with this and come to terms with the fact that she does want Kyle in her life. Not everything in life can - or should - be planned. I could really relate to Rylann, and her story was absolutely one I enjoyed reading.
Nope, no plans tonight. Until sunrise, she was officially winging it. Being spontaneous. Crazy, even. Assuming she didn’t have a panic attack in about two seconds at the thought.
Now let's talk about Kyle. I should have plenty to say, because about 75% of my notes were about him. And they all basically equated to "I HEART X ABOUT KYLE. AND Y. AND Z. OH, AND P, Q, R, & S, TOO." Okay, let's go for the shallow first: He looks like Sawyer from LOST. Be still, my heart. I watched the entirety of LOST for the first time just last year, so it's still fresh in my head. Kyle is a rare combination found in a hero: fiercely intelligent, sexy, and funny (Okay, maybe not rare, per se, but he pulls it off while still seeming like just a regular guy...who is also an ex-con). He loves his family. He has a thing for nick names, which is totally cute. Clearly another addition to the Fictional Boyfriend list.

The book starts off during Rylann and Kyle's first interaction, nine years before the book actually takes place. It drew me in right away, and I loved the integration of their little bit of history into the current story. Rylann and Kyle play off each other very well; the witty banter is delightful. You really can't help but smile any time they interact. I also love how James writes what she knows when it comes to the law/lawyers/legal processes. Those details really shine through and lend a sense of authenticity to the whole book.

About That Night was definitely a hit! I can't wait for more from James.

Quotes
“I’ve got some kind of tropical drink with one of those little umbrellas in it, and I’m reading a book – one I don’t have to highlight or outline in the margins.”
“They makes those kinds of books?”
“If memory serves.”
There are some things a girl never forgets, Ry. And one of those is a kiss from the right guy.
Clearly, she and her subconscious needed to have a talk about that one.
Stay Up 'til 2 AM
Purchase this book at: Amazon || Barnes & Nobleicon || The Book Depository

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psst! I now reside over at The Book Barbies. I'd still love to hear your thoughts, though!