Saturday, April 7, 2012

Review: A Million Suns by Beth Revis


Title: A Million Suns (Across the Universe #2)
Author: Beth Revis
Published: January 2012 (Razorbill)
Rating: 4/5
Summary: Godspeed was once fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos. It’s been three months. In that time, Amy has learned to hide who she is. Elder is trying to be the leader he’s always wanted to be. But as the ship gets more and more out of control, only one thing is certain: They have to get off the ship.

My Review

I waited months and months for A Million Suns, and it was worth every agonizing second. I was blown away by the second installment in this series, and now I'm even more excited for the third (if that's possible). I am anxiously awaiting to find out things that were left up in the air in this one.

I love Revis's writing style. The "chapters" - I really think of them more as sections - vary in length. Sometimes, they are really short, but they always pack an incredibly powerful punch when this is the case. She really captures the voices well; I love getting a look inside Amy and Elder's heads.

Can I just take a moment to address how much I adore the development of Amy and Elder's romance/friendship? Not everything has to happen at the speed of light (read: in the first book of the series). I love some good build-up, and Amy and Elder do not disappoint. It makes them more believable, to me. This romantic element of the book is really great.

A Million Suns was fully of surprises; everything was not predictable. I really appreciate that quality in a book. There were two surprising twists in particular that I did not see coming. The plot itself was very fascinating, and it was an interesting way to propel a story. Watching Elder and how he managed the role of Eldest was something that made me understand Elder more as a character, which I enjoyed. I also like that Revis is not afraid to take leaps with her writing.

Quotes!
Love without choice isn’t love at all.
Love love love this quote.
It’s like tasting dessert before supper is served; it’s only made me want more.


Purchase this book at: Amazon || Barnes & Nobleicon || The Book Depository

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psst! I now reside over at The Book Barbies. I'd still love to hear your thoughts, though!